Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Slime City

After the events of the campaign that I made this post about, I introduced a new antagonist in the form of the Lady of Slime City and the agents of her authoritarian government which was expanding its influence to other settlements in the area. Much of the sessions that followed involved going to places and talking to people inside the city, and while I will post the maps and stuff from the adventures outside of the city, I am presenting pretty much everything I have made to detail Slime City here. I took a long time to post all of this stuff partially because I was working on other things but also because I couldn't really figure out a good way to present all of this without rewriting everything into a spreadsheet, which I don't feel like doing at this time.

This is the Banner of Slime City, a golden snail on a field of purple. Allied towns are expected to fly this banner and pay a 50% tax on all exports to the Lady of Slime City in exchange for protection from her army.

This is the version of the map I made to hand out to players. Slime City and Slimeburg used to be smaller, but they both grew into each other over time.

This is the GM version of the map I originally made with less of an eye appearance.

Some more detail on the various neighborhoods of the city, to give them flavor.

Two pages describing all of the important buildings and landmarks. This would've been a spreadsheet for sure if I wasn't running this location in a place with limited wi-fi.

I also made a series of charts showing who is in charge of each major faction in the city and who is loyal to them. These turned out kind of hard to read but I managed to run the game with them just fine.

I made a quick chart to come up with quests for the various people on the org charts to give out. I didn't end up using this because the group managed to come to people with goals and quests already in mind, but I had this ready in case they ever walked up to someone without doing any preparation and wanted to know how to get on their good side.

This is a random encounter table I came up with for when the group traveled between neighborhoods. It honestly created some pretty fun scenes, but that might just be a result of my group being a bunch of solid role-players.

Ultimately, the party wanted to overthrow the government and liberate the people under Slime City's control, so I made a list of things they can do to make that happen. They ended up doing a few things that weren't on the list, but those were events that got a lot of public attention and made the government look bad.

I only ever needed to develop the Lady of Slime City's Court and the training grounds for her army as individual maps for combat and exploration, as far as locations in the city go. The court is where the Lady Herself hears petitions from her citizens and has a lot of information the party might want while also being where criminals are held before their sentencing. The training grounds commander tries to keep everything going on inside a secret, so getting in and causing some chaos is a great way to bother the government of Slime City.

The group I ran this for had never tried a city-based adventure before and wasn't super used to having such a large sandbox to play in, but they managed to figure it out in time. Their adventure here ended with the entire city getting destroyed by one of the player characters, setting that character up as the next villain, but I wouldn't mind running this setting as a starting place for a group of characters, even. Maybe all of this stuff will only make sense to me since I made it in the first place, but I think it's a solid take on a fantasy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment