Tuesday, November 15, 2022

The Immortal Naturalist's Guide to Cryptic Creatures: Gnomeater

This post is part of the Immortal Naturalist's Guide series. The explanation for that series can be found in this post.
    It is said that a terrible beast stalks the alleys and sewers of Gnome City, devouring those unfortunate enough to run across it. Dismissed as lower class superstition, most citizens of the city are safe from the beast known as Gnomeater behind locked doors. Those unfortunate to find themselves alone in the dark places of Gnome City at night are likely to disappear, lured into Gnomeater's maw by it's hypnotic lure. After a meal, the seven foot long creature slithers back into the sewers, never to be found or even blamed for the deaths it causes. I was able to witness the beast after staking out one of the many taverns in the city. One night, I was able to follow a poor drunk who left alone and happened to stumble into a dark alley by mistake. While I was not able to save the gnome, I did get my first look at Gnomeater, and I was able to follow it to its lair in the city sewers. In so doing, I learned of one of the strangest magical properties I have ever witnessed.
    While the lure on the beast's head has an obvious magical hypnosis effect, used to lure in unwary prey, Gnomeater is covered in small scales that can be used to travel to the cosmic planes of alignment. Admittedly, discovering this was an accident, but when a person touches one of Gnomeater's scales, they are transported in both mind and body to whichever plane they are most aligned with at that moment. I returned back to where I was in the material plane after one hour, but further experimentation showed that touching multiple scales transports one for a number of hours equal to the number of scales touched. Gnomeater's lair is littered with these scales, as it is immune to the effect, which makes the lair treacherous for any person to traverse. For whatever reason, the same thing that causes the scales to transport people also makes Gnomeater incredibly sensitive to sunlight. This sensitivity has led to the belief that it is harmed by any light, and those who believe in Gnomeater are known to carry a source of light with them at all times to prevent an attack.
    I have no reason to visit the cosmic planes, but touching a scale is probably the easiest way I have ever encountered to transport to them. I am aware of several spellcasters who would love a way to travel to the planes so easily. Finding a way to do this without becoming a victim of Gnomeater, however, is easier said than done. I am not sure the potential to earn money outweighs the danger of collecting for me, but maybe there is someone out there desperate enough to trek through cramped sewers for hours to get their pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment