Friday, November 4, 2022

The Immortal Naturalist's Guide to Cryptic Creatures: The Bone Dragon

This post is part of the Immortal Naturalist's Guide series. The explanation for that series can be found in this post.
    Entirely unknown even to the residents of the nearby islands is the Bone Dragon of the Amethyst. This highly secretive creature makes its home in the tangled maze of bleached coral known as the Amethyst, making a meal of anyone unfortunate enough to find their way to the island. Although it appears to be undead, this abnormally large dragon is a living thing that must eat the poor souls it kills to survive. Its appearance, while terrifying, seems to be the result of selective invisibility, not necromancy. Oddly, this dragon lacks the intelligence that most of its kin possess and it is highly aggressive. After just half a day on its island, I had nearly been eaten several times and decided to give up any plans for a longer observation in order to save my own life. I think this makes me the only living witness to the Bone Dragon.
    I do not know by what means the Bone Dragon came to be the way it is, but it appears to be able to briefly extend its selective invisibility to complete invisibility. While it cannot do so for long, the labyrinthine nature of its home makes the ability to disappear for even a moment a valuable tool. This dragon does not hoard items of any type, not even the bones of its victims, and its only motive is to eat. I was able to use its lesser intelligence to my advantage and escape, but its sheer brute force made it difficult.
    It is a shame that the creature is unintelligent, for if it were more like its intelligent relatives I would love to trade for some invisible dragon scales. Such a material would be of incredible use, but I can think of no way to get them off of the Bone Dragon without serious risk to myself or others. It is my hope that no one is ever foolish enough to attempt to retrieve scales from this beast, for they are guaranteeing themselves a painful death at the claws of a truly terrifying creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment